First, what is “recycling” precisely? Once extracted components and materials, how are they recycled? Here is a great website explaining the recycling methods in detail, per type of material: BIR, the Bureau of International Recycling.
Next, what does a sustainable sailyacht recycling concept entail?
Such a service would offer complete dismantling of the yacht in an (environmentally) safe way. Extracted components and materials are retrieved for complete recycling by specialised cooperating firms. That way, these components reach other yacht owners, to be fitted in other yachts for another lifespan.
More precisely, the service would comprise, in order of the working steps to be performed:
- Transportation of the sailyacht to the dismantling site.
- Yacht being lifted out of water or unloaded from a truck.
- Removing / taking down the mast.
- Transport of the sailyacht inside the dismantling hall.
- Dismantling of the yacht.
- Clean-up of extracted components and materials.
- Collection of material to be recycled in separate containers.
- Collection of components for resellers in separate containers.
- Sale of extracted materials and components.
- Certifications: De-registration of the sailyacht with local authorities, and proof of sustainable disposal done.Optional and a nice plus:
- Ongoing documentation of best practice with sustainable sailyacht disposal.
- Training and other knowledge transfer offers to interested institutions.